A Student in SELUTE.MY is basically any registered user on the site. All users which appear in the users table or the SELUTE.MY Admin – Users are considered as student. A Student is a user who has a profile and can pursue courses in the system.
Once a user is registered on the site, the SELUTE.MY would not acknowledge them UNLESS he/she logs in the website www.selute.my. Once the user is logged in, it will start appearing in the user’s directory. So for SELUTE.MY to recognize the user as a student, the user must login to the site at least once.
In this guide we’ll learn how a student interacts at various points in the SELUTE.MY site. Student have lesser rights than instructors and administrators. Here are the students’ rights given below:
- A Student can pursue courses.
- A Student can purchase courses.
- A Student can rate and review courses, access free units.
- A student can check his own results, view course statistics.
- A Student can send a private message to instructors.
- A Student can create friends.
- A Student can create followers.
Become A Student
With SELUTE.MY installed, memberships is enabled in the default role selected that of a Student.
- To register a student can simply click on the signup link in the top header menu or the signup button in the Login panel.
- On clicking the page the student is taken to the Registration page.
- Student should fill all the details in the registration page and click on complete signup button at the bottom of the registration form.
- After this, the student gets an email at the registered email address with an activation link.
- The Student account is finally created in the site only when student clicks on the activation link.
- Student can now login in SELUTE.MY using the login/password credentials entered in the registration form.
- Login to the SELUTE.MY site
- Click on View Profile link in the Login panel
- Click on Edit button to edit the profile.
- Enter the fields, there may be multiple field groups which the student can switch to fill the details.
A Student can change he/her avatar from the edit profile section itself. The Avatar edit section can be located in the profile section. The student can simply edit the avatar, delete the avatar or upload a new avatar. Upon uploading the new avatar the student can also crop it to a fitting size.
- Dashboard : Student can view his own course progress, no of units completed, finished courses, his statistics, his quizzes answered, can prepare his to do tasks, course events. It is same like instructor dashboard.
- Courses : This section consist the number of completed courses by students and the courses in which student is enrolled. It consists of further three subcategories : My Courses, Results, Stats
- Activity : This
section records the activities of student. It consists of further 6
- Profile : Student Profile is visible here where he can upload cover image as well as his profile image.
- Notifications : All the notifications are visible in this section(e.g. instructor notifications, course evaluated, course reset for student)
- Messages : All the messages send to students is visible in this section.
- Wish list : User/Student Wish list is visible in this section
- Friends : Whenever someone send you friend request, that will be visible in this section. And, if you are already a friend with someone then that will also be visible in this section under friendship subcategory. You can also send friend request to someone. For that access site url/members, it will display list of all members now just click on add friend and when that person accepts your friend request. Both of you become friends.
- Groups : Groups membership and group invitations will be visible in this section.
- Forums : It consists information like topic started in the forum, replies created, favorites, subscriptions.
- BuddyDrive : It records the file sharing between members, between friends via buddydrive feature.
- Settings : It consists general settings such as changing your password, resetting password, email notifications, setting for your pofile visibility, delete, account.
- Achievements : Display your achievements.
This section covers all the aspects of Student pursuing a course in detail. Right from browsing the course, to purchasing, completing the course, checking the results for the course and finally submitting the course and getting a badge or certificate of the course.
A student can browse through all the courses through the Course directory. The course directory consists of all the courses from all the instructors. Each course line in course directory shows the Title of the course, a short description of the course, the price of the connected product for the course, the ratings, review count of the course and the total number of students which have taken the course.
A student can use the search bar to search for a specific course. A student can sort the course directory. Following are options available for sorting the directory:
- Alphabetical : Shows the courses in Alphabetical order.
- Newly Created : [Default] Shows the courses in Date published order.
- Most Members : Shows the courses in Student count order.
- Highest Rated : Shows the courses in star Rating number order.
After finalizing on a course, the student can simply click on the course name to see the course page.
The course page contains several details for a student to decide on to take the course.
- Vital Information is located on top right corner with information like : Required Pre-Course, Price of Course, Course Badge, Course Certificate.
- Course Description is shown on the course home page
- Course Reviews are shown at the end of the course description
- Total number of students who have taken the course.
- Students Taking the course can be seen in the Students section in the Course home.
- Student can also view course curriculum.
- Student can click on Free units to go through each unit.
- To purchase the course a student simply needs to click on “Take the Course” button, the student is then redirect to the connected product for the course.
- A connected product can be of One time payment type or Subscription type
- A Student can also browse through the Products and there may be products which may offer a combination of courses.
- Student can simply add the product to the cart and proceed with the purchase process to purchase the product.
- After purchasing the product, student is automatically connected to the course group and forums.
- Once the student has purchased the course, the student is eligible to take the course. If a course has Pre-Required course then the student cannot start the course unless the pre-required course is finished and evaluated by the instructor.
- Once the course has been started the student can access the course units and can access the course timeline.
- Each unit may be connected to a Unit forums where a student can ask questions and interact with the Instructor and other students.
- A student can also download attachments for each unit. A student can also download attachments uploaded in the group.
- After the student has finished with a unit, the student can mark the unit complete.
- To mark the unit as complete the student simply needs to click on the link at the bottom of each unit “Mark Unit complete”.
- Once the Unit is marked as complete, a green colored dot appears on the course timeline in front of the marked unit.
Taking a Quiz
- Quizzes are an integral part of SELUTE.MY. Quiz are independent units which can or cannot be connected to any course.
- A student can simply click on the Quiz in the course timeline to being with the Quiz.
- Upon clicking the link the student is taken to the quiz interface. The quiz page shows instructions for the quiz.
- To start the quiz the student simply needs to click on start quiz button.
- Once the quiz is started the timer starts running.
- If a student drops out from the quiz, the student can join the quiz within the time allotted for the quiz. Which means the timer will keep on running even if the student is not taking the quiz.
- The Quiz can be submitted by the student simply by clicking on the button Submit Quiz.
- If the student does not submit the quiz and the timer counts down to Zero, the quiz is automatically submitted.
- Once the quiz is submitted the student can check his/her marked answers by clicking on Check quiz results button.
- Now student awaits for instructor to evaluate the Quiz if quiz is set for manual evaluation.
- Once all Units and Quizzes in the course are complete
- The student can go to course timeline and click on Finish course button then submit the course for evaluation.
- The course review has to be done after submitting the course.
- To review the course the student simply has to click on Review Course button below the Course Timeline
- The student can now review the course by rating the course out of 5 and giving his/her comments for the course.
- Once the students have submitted the quiz.
- The Instructor evaluates the quiz and an automatic message is sent to the students with their marks from link to check the quiz scores.
- The student can also check the quiz results in the Profile -> Courses -> Results section. This feature is basically used when an instructor manually evaluate the quiz. In auto evaluation a student got his result just after submitting the quiz.
- Once the Instructor has evaluated the submitted courses and given marks to each student for course. The student receives an automatic message and notification. The message contains the percentage student got in the course.
- The student can check the Course percentage in the Profile -> Courses -> Stats section
Badges And Certificates
- If the student has got course percentage above the Badge percentage then the student gets a badge. This badge is shown in students profile.
- If the student has got course percentage above the passing percentage then the student gets a passing certificate. This certificate is shown in the Students profile page. The student can also print this certificate.
Users can create and update their profiles, send private messages to one another, befriend and de-friend each other, form and join groups, participate in forum discussions, and more. There are some core features which are discussed below:
Users can update their profiles from their profile section. They can update their profile photo, update or change their cover image, update about your location and bio.
Blogs posts, new friendships and blog comments are among the most popular activities recorded.
A student can send friendship request to other members (students+ instructors). Friends have access to send private message and invite each other groups etc.
Private messaging allows greater interaction among students. Members can message other people on their friends list as well as reply to received messages. Each member has their own individual Inbox and Sent messages folders as well as a Compose message screen. Members are notified of new messages in three ways:
- By email (if enabled by the user)
- By an incremented number in the notification circle located in the SELUTE.MY Admin Toolbar
- By an incremented number in the Messages tab if the user is on their own profile
Quiz and Course results are sent to users via private messaging, wherein students can directly interact with their instructor on the results.
Each course can be connected to a Group and while students access to course is limited but a student is a lifetime member to a course. Instructor can send assignments to students via this mode.
Each course and unit can be connected to forums. Each group can also be connected to a forum. If the group is private then the forum access is allowed only to group members. Which make the forum an exclusive forum for course members. We recommend connecting this same forum with the Groups course